How is lichen planus contracted?
Cause not known. Treatment is symptomatic.
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.
Lichen Planus is a inflammatory disease usually affecting the skin and mucous membrane of the mouth. It can also affect scalp, nails, anogenital regions.
It is not contagious. You cannot give it to another person or catch it from another person. On the skin it appears as red purplish papules (bumps). In the vagina and other mucous membranes it appers as white lacy patches.
Its cause is not known. It occurs when the immune system attacks the skin and mucous membrane mistakenly. In some people it can be triggered by Hepatitis or flu vaccine, medicines like Advil and Aleve etc.
Since what causes abnormal immune response is not known, there is no cure for Lichen Planus. Treatment is only symptomatic. Treatment is aimed at relieving itching and to promote healing of rashes.
I presume you have the Lichen Planus rash in vagiionnal reg
To reduce itching and inflammation,
-use lose cotton undergarments
-use cold compresses on the lesion.
-use petroleum jelly before and after passing urine.
-Aleo vera gel
If itching and inflammation does not respond to above measures your doctor will prescribe steroid creams for short term use and antihistamine tablets ( You are already using these).
If the lesions and symptoms are very severe your doctor may advise ultra violet light therapy, or Vitamin A derivatives.
I hope this helps.
If you have any further queries do write to me . I will be happy to answer
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- How to stop lichen planus from spreading
- How to remove lichen planus spots
- How is lichen planus pigmentosus treated
- How you get lichen planus
- How is lichen planus and phimosis treated
- Having vaginal lichen planus how to prevent it from recurring
- How to get rid of lichen planus pigmentosus
- How to reduce itching for lichen planus
- How to prevent lichen planus spreading
- Lichen planus of genitals elocon
- What causes cramps and menstruation once in sex months?
- What causes bleeding after sexual intercourse?
- How to confirm date of conception?
- Are ultrasound conception dates accurate?
- Is it safe to start antibiotics before the labour starts?
- What causes early period after having Postinor-2?
- Can TSH test be done after breakfast?
- suggest treatment for symptoms of prolapse of vaginal wall or uterus
- What causes upper abdominal pain during pregnancy?
- Does prolactin level in my blood report indicate pregnancy?