Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

How is jaundice treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12613 Questions
my mother is suffering from jaundice, her belurubin was 2.22 when dignosed on 9-aug-2011, today on 15-aug-2011 its 3.50. today she is feeling vomiting sensation and high level of giddiness, or fits. We are giving high amount of glucose and no oil or fats. boiled potato, home made tomato soup are the major food stuff. can you please tell me cause and any quack treatment. there is no good hospital or doctors nearby.
1. she was having IBD just before jaundice, homeopathic treatment was given coz aelopathic treatment doesn't suits her.
2. her body was getting cold today thus we gave her salt coz we thought its because of low blood pressure and that worked out.)
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 37 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.
Jaundice is a sign of an underlying Liver pathology. It could be due to poor liver function or infection harbored in the biliary system. Recurrent episodes of jaundice can damage the liver. A thorough examination with a specialist Hepatologist / Gastroenterologist is needed.
The most common causes are viral hepatits like Hep A, Hep B, Hep C, Hep E and Hep D or Autoimmune Hepatitis.
Some blood investigations are needed to find out the type of infection from which she is suffering.
As viral hepatitis is the most common cause, the main aim would be to protect the liver from excessive damage. These following measures would be helpful in this regarding:
1) Avoid oily and spicy food.
2) Low salt diet
3) Medications for better liver function which you can get prescribed from your Gastroenterologist. Some of the hepatoprotectives like Liv 52 or livomyn are usually recommended.
4) Maintain hygiene.
Usually it takes 3-4 weeks to completely recover from the viral infection. Acute infection usually subsides with the conservative treatment only without any antiviral drugs.
Hope this answers your query, In case of any doubts I am available for the follow ups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor