Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

How is itching and burning in the vagina treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12753 Questions
Dear Doctor,
I am an ex-pat Brit living in Indonesia and went to see the gynocologist after having extreme vaginal discharge and an iching/burning/tingling sensation. She did a smear and the lab have sent me the following results, without explanation from the doctor as yet: Specimen: Vagina Secrete WBC: 10 - 15/Hpf Bacteria: Bacil gram negative : ++/Positive Coccus gram positive : +/Positive GO: Negative Epithel cell : +/Positive I have been told that only the Doctor is authorised to give an explanation as to my results but that she cannot contact me until she is back in the office in two days time. I am so worried. Please can you explain these reults to me? Many thanks.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.
The results of the vaginal secretions are suggestive of vaginal bacterial infection - both gram positive and gram negative indicating vaginitis. For the treatment you need to have antibiotics prescribed from your gynaecologist.
You can take some general measures to avoid recurrence of infection-
1.Avoid wearing tight underwear or other tight acrylic garments everyday. Use loose fitting cotton underwear and panties. Avoid wearing jeans, legging, panty hose every day.
2.Stay away from deodorant sanitary pads and tampons.
3.Do not remain in wet clothes for a long time.
4. You can insert tampoons dipped in yogurt into your vagina twice a day. Be sure not to keep them inside for more than two hours.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How is itching and burning in the vagina treated ? 12 hours later
Hello Dr Tayal,

Thank you very much for your medical advice.

I have actually been taking Flagyl for the past ten days (for my stomach infection) and have seen no improvement in my vaginal symptoms. I know that Flagyl is an antibiotic used to treat BV.

Are there different types of BV where Flagyl may not be the correct treatment?

Is it possible that this infection may have originated from the fungal spore found in my stool sample?

Is it wise to get tested for the full range of possible STDs? My test showed that I do not have thrush and that I do not have Trichomonas.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you again soon, at your earliest convenience.

Kind regards,
Alexandra Egre.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.

Flagyl is used for anaerobic infections and does not help much in gram positive cocci and gram negative bacilli.

You can get a Vaginal Flora culture sensitivity test done for a more specific diagnosis and to know which antibiotic will work best on it.

It is not likely to be related to the fungal spores in your stool.

Getting screened for all STDs is a good idea. You can proceed with that.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How is itching and burning in the vagina treated ? 2 hours later
Dear Doctor Tayal,

Thank you for your response to my message.

Can I have the vaginal flora culture sensitivity test done when I have my period? My period is due to begin today or tomorrow. I need to get sorted a soon as possible as I am moving to Holland on Friday and I do not have health insurance. If I can't have the vaginal flora culture sensitivity test, can I just be given a standard generic set of antibiotics, in the hope that that will sort me out?

Is the bacteria that was found in my test likely to be an imbalance of the natural bacteria in my vagina or is it more likely to be an indication of a possible STD?

Thanks, again, for your medical advice. It is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
It is difficult to get a vaginal swab good for culture during your periods. Still based on your report, a set of antibiotics best for you can be selected like azithromycin and levofloxacin.

The association with STD does not seem to be likely but it is difficult to commit.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor