Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

How is infection in the vagina treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 126 Questions
I was treated first for yeast infection, and then for BV, however i am still experiencing external vaginal irritation and itchiness. My doctor took culture and it all came back negative. This problem is ongoing for the last 2 months and its becoming very bothersome. What can I possible do to make it go away?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 27 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

As you say, if it is only external vaginal irritation and itchiness it is probably due to fungal infection. This causes severe itching which usually occurs in the groin region (near thigh crease). Due to scratching it may cause superficial erosion of the skin which may be the cause for irritation.

This can be treated with oral anti-fungal drugs like flucanazole, ketaconazole etc or with topical applications like clotrimazole dusting powder. To reduce itching you can try anti-histamines like cetrizine. All these drugs to be taken after prior consultation with the doctor.

The following will help:
1. Keep the area dry
2. Trim your nails
3. Use cotton clothing, avoid synthetic materials

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How is infection in the vagina treated ? 8 hours later
My doctor did perform a culture about 2 weeks ago and tested for yeast and bacteria and they all came back negative. The itching and irritation is more toward the top ( toward the clitoris area) and the whole external area feels sore. My doctor classified it as non specific vaginatis and prescribed hydrocortisone AC suppositories to be used intravaginally. that was 2 weeks ago and I still have irritation. I am not sure if I should go back to my doctor and ask for more results. I am not sure what to ask him to check for. Please help
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Yes, this could be due to the condition called "Non Specific Vaginitis" and hydrocortisone should have offered your some relief in this condition but in your case it has not. So further investigation are necessary.

I suggest you to consult a Gynecologist for a local examination, pap smear, vaginal smear, coloposcopic examination. If the results turn out to be normal, you just have to wait using a second round of medicines. Sometimes these are resistant.

Other general measures apply, cotton undies, cut your nails.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor