Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

How is hypertension treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
My husband is turning 50 in June2011, he is 5'9", 165lbs, not fat. I took his blood pressure for the last days, its 141 over 101, then the next day, 157/106, then 102/80. Is there something wrong and should I be concern.
Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 20 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

If there are more than 3 readings of blood pressure on different occasions more than 140/90 mmHg, then it is considered that the person is suffering from hypertension ( High BP ).

However, if there’s a single reading of the diastolic pressure being more than 100 mmHg, it is still considered as hypertension and the patient is treated on those lines.

As your husband has got 2 readings where the diastolic blood pressure readings are more than 100 mmHg, I sincerely feel that he will need to be on anti-hypertensive drugs.

However, before going ahead, it makes sense that he gets himself evaluated by doing an ECG, echocardiography, eye (fundus) examination, lipid profile, kidney function tests etc.

The ECG and echocardiography help in looking for the changes in the heart due to hypertension and the eye examination helps in ruling out any damage to the retina due to hypertension.

If the effects of hypertension are evident in these organs, then the patient definitely needs treatment.

Kindly consult a physician for the same.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor