Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

How is high albumin in urine treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 362 Questions
sir my father 65yrs old is having high traces of albumin in urine
we had gone to docters but it is not helping us .he has no other problems in past. know he he is loosing weight.
a docter told us to do biopsy. but he is not ready to do. sir give me a good solutions for this wiithout biopsy.
we have done C T SCAN & All other test .
in CT SCAN It is showing smaal stones in both kidney
so please help me out

Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 55 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

If the protein loss in urine in > 3 gms/day, its suggestive of Nephrotic Syndrome.
Renal stones cannot cause such protein loss. Infact, renal stones as a consequence of an underlying kidney disease.

The 6 main cause of Nephrotic Syndrome in his age are
1. Diabetic Nephropathy if he is diabetic
2. Amyloidosis
3. Focal Segmental Glmeruloscelerosis
4. Membranous Glomerulonephritis
5. Membranoproliferative Glomerulonephritis
6. IgA Nephropathy

Infact, IA nephropathy is the most common cause world wide.

The only and only way of diagnosing what exactly is the cause is Kidney Biopsy.
There is not other alternative way.

The positive side is that, there are treatment available and some of the disease can be completely controlled.

You must convince your father to get a biopsy done.

If not, an empirical course of steroids might be advisable if there is no obvious infection.

Please discuss with your nephrologist for the same.

Hope this answers your query. Please get back if you need any further information

Thanks and Regards,

Dr Kiran.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How is high albumin in urine treated ? 1 hour later
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 2 hours later

You should consult a Nephrologist and get your dad evaluated.

Wish him a speedy recovery.

Take care

Dr Kiran
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor