• question-icon

How is hiatus hernia treated ?

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Question: I need help! My pain started about a year ago, it was a sudden onset of burning in the throat, and it felt like my food was coming back up also i felt like i was having a panic attack. I went straight to the er had an ekg, d dimer, cardiac enzymes and other blood work and everything checked out fine. Went to see a cardiologist a few days later for another d dimer, cardiac enzymes, and a stress test and echo and everything checked out fine. The cardiologist sent me to a gi doctor and he checked me for pylori, and did an upper gi which showed a little erosion. I have been on prevacid, prilosec, donnatol, and kefflex which havent helped me. Did hida scan and my gall bladder was working at 0% so had that removed. Still no relief. One day im constipated another day i can hardly make it to the bathroom. I have how ever started with zofran which has helped some. Also i have back and shoulder pain because of a spur. And left sidd rib cage pain some bloating a feeling of fullness What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The left sided rib cage pain with a feeling of fullness suggests something like that of a Hiatus hernia.

Diagnosis can be confirmed by upper GI endoscopy.

Try raising the head end of your bed about four inches with blocks.

It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.

To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.

The drugs you are taking are likely to produce a relief but as soon as you stop them, the symptoms will recur.

The alternating diarrhea and constipation that you have might be a result of an irritable bowel syndrome- more prominent with stress and anxiety.

Try to do some dietary changes and lifestyle modifications for relief.

1.Some vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts) and legumes (beans) may worsen bloating and gassiness and should be avoided.

2.Dietary fiber may lessen symptoms of constipation.

3.Drink plenty of water, and avoid carbonated drinks such as soda, which may cause gas and discomfort.

4.Eat smaller meals and eat slowly to help reduce cramping and diarrhea.

5.Low fat, high carbohydrate meals such as pasta, rice, and whole-grain breads may help.

Reduce caffeine, alcohol, dairy products, fatty foods, artificial sweeteners.

You can use some over the counter drugs like pepto bismol, tums, imodium, entrocalm, etc for symptomatic relief.

Daily exercises along with a low fat diet will help you overcome the problems.

You will need to checkout whether you have lactose intolerance by having some tests under your physician's guidance.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN