How is herpes transmitted?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: hi,

i recently engaged in activity with a sex worker where she sat on my thigh with her exposed vagina while using her hand to masturbate me. she did not touch my penis with her vagina, however, i was worried about the possibilities of catching herpes through vagina to thigh contact since she was rubbing her vagina on it. i felt her thigh and there was a singular bump there, but it didn't hurt her so i'm not sure if that was a lesion or if it was just a normal thing. there was absolutely no genital to genital contact, just vagina on my thigh.

thanks
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely herpes if single non painful.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query. I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.
It is not clear about the lesion the partner had size ,color,site etc.If it is single not painful it is unlikely to be herpes.
Herpes usually occurs as grouped tiny water filled vesicles may have red base with pain or burning sensation.
Herpes simplex 1 or 2 can spread by skin to skin contact when there are active lesions in the person even kiss.
or by sexual route.
It is unlikely that she had herpes as there are many causes for single swelling.
Hope it is not herpes.
You can get back to me for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 48 minutes later
Thank you for answering me, my follow up is: would her vagina to my thigh contact be possible for me to contract herpes if she had it?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes possible if she had herpes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query.
If she had herpes active lesion then there are chances of getting herpes with lesion coming in contact with skin or any secretion of lesion coming in contact with skin or genital area.
Usually the incubation period Range for herpes is 2 to 20 days.
You can watch for any symptoms if she had active herpes.
If you need any clarification you can get back to me else close the discussion and rate
Wish you good health
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh