How is herpes infection transmitted?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: I have had herpes for more than 20 yrs + and didn't know it till recently through a blood test. I have gotten outbreaks on my upper buttocks area about once a month, now twice intwo weeks! Does this mean the virus has spread to other parts of my body? Can this be transmitted by kissing someone? I will be taking Valtrex daily ! Using protection for intercourse what are the risks of transmitting this to someone? I don't have sores on my genitals only on the upper part of my buttocks!

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome to hcm

Detailed Answer:
It would be smart to do specific antibody tests to rule out is this type 1 or 2. In most cases buttcocks are area where hsv-2 is found,but this is not necessary. unfortinately,herpes virus usually manifests with outbreaks and may be dormant for lifetime. it is hard to predict when will or will outbreak occur at all. If this is hsv2 and there is no mouth or lips herpetic lesion,then it cant be transmissed by kissing,but genital transmission is possible no matter if this is placed only on buttcocks. and protection can reduce risk of transmission from 50% to 25-30% but since this is only on buttcock this risk is bit reduced,but still it is recommendable to avoid sexual intercourse teal recovery.wish you good health.regards