How is hepatitis A infection contracted?

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Wed, 3 May 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I was at the hospital over the weekend for birthing classes and went to one of the restroom. After using the toilet, the automatic flusher was so obnoxious that a drop of water flew into my eye. My husband said it wasn't a big deal and at least it wasn't throw up or feces (just my urine). There is no irritation and the eye feels normal. Is there a reason to worry about Hepatitis A, B, or C? I did not see any blood, but I know that Hepatitis survives outside the body for a number of days. Would this be considered a mean of transmission since it was through the eye?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There does not exist any risk of being infected with hepatitis A,B or C.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear! I have been through your question!
Please don't worry.

Based on your above mentioned details, that you have just eye contact with the drop of water (maybe mixed with urine) and not blood or feces of someone else, there's no risk to get infected with hepatitis A,B or C.

Furthermore you should know that hepatitis A virus (even the hepatitis E virus) is found in the stool of an infected person and is spread when a person eats food or drinks water (feco-oral route) that has come in contact with infected stool.

While hepatitis B and C virus is spread when blood, semen, or vaginal fluids from an infected person enter another person's body.

So, based on this data there is no reason for concern.

I hope my answer helps you. Feel free to ask me further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 38 minutes later
So even if someone bled or had infected stool in the toilet before me, I should still be ok in terms of hepatitis?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please don't worry.There is no reason for concern.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear! Thank you writing back in healthcaremagic.
I am sorry for my late response.
If someone bled there maybe could exist a low possibility to get infected only with hepatitis B virus from an eye contact with blood but in your case you said there was no blood but only your urine.
So, please don't worry there does not exist any risk to get infected with hep B.

Furthermore, related the hepatitis A , if there had infected stool you cannot get a hep A virus infection from just an eye contact, but only with fecal -oral route.

I hope my answer helps you.
Feel free to ask me further.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy