Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

How is granuloma treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12753 Questions
I recently got my tragus pierced and a few days a bump appeared, I've been doing some research and it may be something called Granuloma! Its red in colour and tender to the touch! What can I do to get rid of this 'bump'
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later

Thanks for writing to us.

Granuloma is a common complication seen after piercing. It can either be pyogenic- with drainage of pus and is infective or allergic in origin due to allergy to the metal used in piercing.

Initially a conservative treatment is followed by keeping the area clean, local antibiotic ointment and systemic oral antibiotics along with antiallergics like cetrizine are prescribed. Please see your GP regarding this.

If there is no relief, then electroablation may be needed. This can only be decided after proper examination of the lesion by a surgeon.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor