Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

How is food allergy to eggs treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 299 Questions
Hi Doc, I am XXXXXXX 30 year old. I get severe stomach ache after eating eggs. It starts after 30 minutes I had eggs and usually lasts about 1 to 1:30 hours. Please advice me, should I stop eating eggs?
Tue, 8 May 2012 in Eating Disorders
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 50 minutes later
Hi ,

Thanks for your query.

Consuming eggs and soon developing stomach ache is indicative of a food allergy to eggs. It can manifest in the form of vomiting, stomach ache, rashes over the body and loose stools, etc.

In most of them it is the egg white which causes this allergy, when raw eggs are consumed.

I would suggest you see an Allergy and Immunology Specialist, get an examination done as soon as possible. If the stomach pain increases or rashes, itching develop see the doctor immediately. You will need to do some allergy tests to confirm if you are allergic to egg or any other food item.

In the meantime , please avoid consuming eggs either boiled or raw.

Hope I answered your query, I am available for follow ups as well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How is food allergy to eggs treated ? 23 hours later
Thanks for the response doctor. I did not have this allergy to eggs before. It started around a year back. Is it possible to develop the food allergies in the middle like this? Is it indicative of any problem with my digestive system?
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back .

It is possible that you would have had this allergy from before, but it would not have manifested with significant symptoms. The intensity of the allergic reaction may increase with increase in number of exposures to the substance causing allergy.

It does not specifically indicate a problem in the digestive system, but it could be an inflammation in the digestive tract corresponding to the allergy.

As I suggested, we can only come to a final conclusion on doing immunological tests and an abdominal examination. An ultrasound scan may be necessary.

You may be benefited from antispasmodic group of medicines as well as proton pump inhibitors till your allergy reports come. Consider drinking lot of fluids and have a bland diet for few days.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor