Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

How is fishy odor controlled ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 362 Questions
hi my mother has a strong oder coming from her, i can only describe it as urine or fishy smelling, she does not shower daily but when she does the smell comes right back, its very strong and burns my nose, she also lived for years in a shack with mice and rats in horrible conditions very dirty conditions, she is a recovering meth addict (20 years on meth) and suffered extreme mental and physical abuse while living in the shack. she is now sober and living else where but the smell cont. her pc doc say the blood tests are normal,i have no clue if this is physical or mental? please help
thank you
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 20 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

The strong odour which you have described can be due to infection. substance abuse and has lived in shack for sometime now, its also possible that she has developed such a body odour due to her lifestyle.

The best way to rule out any urinary tract infection is to get a Urine Routine Microscopy and Culture done. If its normal, it likely that she has developed such an odour due to her lifestyle.

Taking proper shower, using clean clothes, liberal use of deodorant and perfumes and talcum power will help you over come such a odour.

If her blood tests are normal, its unlikely that she has any major infection.

Hope this answers your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor