Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

How is fibromyalgia and back pain treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
i have random throbbing/pulsating in ramdon places in my arms, legs and occasionaly my neck, its either in the vein or a muscle and normally they normally last a few seconds, I also occasionally get this in my eyelid, is this normal? i am 32, overweight by 2 stone and in general good health. I have been having quite a lot of lower back pain and a sharper pain in the middle of my back recently which hurts more when I tighten my back muscles.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 28 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Considering your signs and symptoms, the first possibility is Fibromyalgia in which there’s a persistent widespread pain, stiffness, fatigue & usually disrupted unrefreshing sleep.

This possibility is entertained if the widespread muscle aches and pains are present for more than 3 months. Analgesics (painkillers) and antidepressants are used for the treatment of the same.

Another possibility is hypothyroidism. TSH levels will help us in ruling out hypothyroidism.

An ESR and complete blood counts should also be done to look for the possibility of any other inflammatory disease like rheumatoid arthritis which usually presents with joint pains and early morning stiffness of the hand joints.

If the pain in the back is really troublesome, then an MRI of the spine should be done to rule out the possibility of disc prolapse.

The treatment will depend upon the underlying diagnosis. Please do consult a rheumatologist for the same as it is not possible to make an online diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions then please do post us.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How is fibromyalgia and back pain treated ? 19 minutes later
I was concerned that this might be something related to an aneurism, should that be a concern. I have had these throbbing/pulsating twinges on and off now for several years.

I do suffer from Anxiety, could this be related?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back. Aneurysms of the vessels are known to occur but they are usually seen to be localised at one or two places. So many multiple aneurysms are not known to occur in the body. Hence in my opinion aneurysms are not the known cause in your case.

However anxiety can be the cause of such throbbing sensations. For ruling it out you need to consult a psychiatrist. Panic attack is a response of the sympathetic nervous system and is characterized by trembling, dyspnea (shortness of breath), heart palpitations, chest pain (or chest tightness), hot flashes, feeling of warmth and sweating. Symptoms of anxiety neurosis include sweating, headaches, nausea, muscle tension, muscle aches, trembling and hot flashes. Both of them require psychological counseling and anti anxiety medicines.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions then please do post us.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor