Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

How is enlarged prostrate and pus cells in the urine treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12673 Questions
I am Jagat,67 yrs old male .Height-172.71 cm,weight 78kg. As per recent microscopic examination of urine ,Leukocytes (pus cells) is 8 to 10/HPF. I don't get any burning sensation while passing urine but due to higher frequency of urination And PSA was increased to 7.04 ng/ml, I was examined by Urologyst and went for sonography of the KUB region +T.R.U.S. test which shows no demonstrable abnormality except mild, border line enlargment of Prostate.Based on that I am under medication - Alfoo 10 mg-one tab daily 1/2 an hour after dinner for last 6 months and PSA is now 5.40 ng/ml but pus cells has increased from occassional to 8 to 10/HPF in last 7 months time. I am not diabetic. Pl. suggest preventive measures/medication if required any. Is there any effect of Alfoo tab.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 45 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

Alfoo tablet is used to reduce the prostatic hypertrophy and is causing a reduction in your PSA levels. However this tablet is not associated with the urinary infection that you are having.

A urine sample showing pus cells -8-10/HPF may not need treatment all the time. Is the urine collected after the TURP. Pus cells may be present after such procedures or there can be due to mild enlarged prostate gland. There is more to pus cells and bacteria in urine than what meets the eye, and would confuse many primary physicians and the patients alike. Lot of lab errors happen leading to appearance of pus cells in the urine samples as urine stored for more than few minutes at room temperature can cause bacteria grow by themselves and showed by in the test.

Having all said, the chances of UTI increase after 60 years of age, hence it is tricky to take a decision to treat such pus cells or not. Let your Urologist take a decision on that.

Please do practice safe sexual practices like using a condom, if you sexually active, so that both you and your partner do not co-infect each other.
Some measures which can help you:
1)Drink lots of water.
2)Empty the bladder completely as soon as you feel the urge to urinate.
3)Pass the urine before and after intercourse.
4)Wear loose cotton undergarments and wash them in antiseptic solution.
5)Take Cranberry juice as it inhibits bladder infection.
6)Take Vitamin C tablet Celin once a day for few months. It will help in increasing your immunity.

My suggestion is to follow up with your Urologist as and when needed.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up in case of any doubt.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor