How is diabetes related to premature ventricular contractions?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Hello!
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:

Good day.

There are number of reasons for VPCs (ventricukar premature contrations) i diabetes.

1) Cardiac autonmic neuropathy: Here nerves of heart are affected by diabetes and heart can beat with out a rhythm

2) Cardiac damage from ischemic heart disease secondary to diabetes

3) Diabetic cardiomyopathy:here muscles of heart is weaker and heart chambers get dilated.

4) high potassium due to drugs used to treat hypertension in diabetes or due to kidney damage in diabetes

All te above can cause VPCs.

Binu