Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

How is deep vein thrombosis treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
My mother in the UK is 91 [I live in Spain so am not supervising my mother as I live too far away] .My sister has just had to admit my mother to hospital again as in one leg and foot there is absolutely no blood circulating and she has the typical wound on lower leg that just won't heal.

The doctors are going to put some fluid intravenusly to help open an artery. This is the second time in 6 months they are doing this but say that they fear they will have to remove her leg. We are devistated for our 91 year old mother. Are there any other choices ? Like stets or laiser treatments. I understand that there are no other veins nor arteries in that leg in good condition but we are praying that someone can suggedt something. Thank You, Susi B
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 52 minutes later

Without the actual detailed medical history and reports of imaging studies like doppler, angiography it is difficult to give a accurate advice.

But from the description it seems that your mother had a vascular condition like DVT, varicose veins or peripheral artery disease which has now probably deteriorated with multiple points of obstruction within the blood vessels.

In case angiography and doppler studies have been done earlier, they would provide better information about the current status.

Laser treatments are not helpful to treat any obstructive lesions within the blood vessels.

Surgical reconstruction of the blood vessels, Bypass surgeries, placement of the stents (in this case, multiple stents ) - are some of the treatments that can be helpful in conditions like peripheral artery disease.

I might be able to provide more information, if additional details about the medical diagnosis and ongoing treatment is provided.

I hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor