Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

How is contact dermatitis treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I am a 40 year old female. I weight about 184 and am 5 feet. Recently I kept getting a cluster of little red itchy bumps behind my ear. They went away in about 3 days and then I got a patch of raised itchy skin colored bumps along my jawline that stayed for a week. I kept applying hydrocortisone and they finally went away but a few a still there. Prior to this I got another itchy patch of skin colored bumps on my left cheek that went away after a week but left weird scars that were larger than the bumps itself. I need help. What could this be? Should I see an allergist or general doctor?
I don't know if this is related but the bottom of my feet have been itching too,
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Follow-up: How is contact dermatitis treated ? 4 minutes later
My hair has been shedding for 9 months. it's brittle and everytime I comb it many strands fall out. If I just run my hands through it, it comes out a little too. I really noticed it when a lot of hair started coming out around myhair line. I don't know what's causing it or what to do to stop it. Could it be stress or something internal?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

From the symptoms that you have described, there are many possibilities for these kind of itchy bumps. These can be due to contact dermatitis or allergies causing hives, irritated hair follicles causing small itchy bumps, viral rashes or scabies bites since the bumps are present under the feet also. Scabies is an infestation by the itch mite. Scabies produces small red bumps and blisters and affects specific areas of the body like the folds of skin, under the feet and behind the ears.

You should change the bed linen, your clothes and wash them in hot water and dry them in sun. You can also use medicated soaps as well for bathing. Also apply calamine lotion on the rash and take an antihistaminic for itching after consulting your doctor. A dermatologist will be the best person from whom this rash should be examined.

Regarding the hair loss, there are many causes on hair fall like stress, fungal infections, alopecia aereata, hormonal imbalance (overproduction of dihydrotestosterone and thyroid hormones irregularities), malnutrition, telogen effluvium and sebum plugs on skin. Exact diagnosis can only be found after examination and preferably a scalp biopsy.

Till you consult a dermatologist, give your diet an overhaul if you're lacking vital nutrients for growth and switch to foods for healthy hair like food XXXXXXX in protein, vitamins(mainly vit A and vit C) and other micronutrient like zinc, iron and copper. Also eat a healthy balanced meal, use mild shampoo and lather gently and rub gently with towel to dry you hair.

Try and avoid using blow dryers. Biotin is present in foods like eggs and liver and is considered good for hair growth. So in addition to these foods, biotin supplements can be taken. There are many medications to improve hair loss like finasteride, dutasteride and topically applied minoxidil but these are available only under prescription. In that case you have to consult a dermatologist or trichologist (hair expert).

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor