Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

How is chronic diarrhea and cramps treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 243 Questions
I am a 51 yr. old female and have been having chronic diarrhea/cramping for the past 2 months. Blood tests and stool samples came back normal. (Im not sure what exactly they tested for). I am 5'3" and 175#. Have been gaining weight rapidly. I have lost no weight with the diarrhea although everything I eat seems to go right through. I have not had any serious illnesses.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

Your gastroenterologist may have tested you for Stool (Routine & Micro) and Stool for occult blood. The blood test would be Complete Blood Count. Normally infection in intestine would lead to rise in White Blood Cells and Polymorphs (Neutrophils).

As you are gaining weight irrespective of the chronic diarrhea it would be better to get your Thyroid Function Test done. Normally Hypothyroidism is associated with rapid weight gain and constipation (not diarrhea). But still it would be better to rule out this cause.

The other possibility could be weight loss. Few investigations required are Colonscopy and tissue biopsy. It would be better to get examined by a gastroenterologist as this is a diagnosis of exclusion and has to be treated accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor