Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

How is chronic bronchitis due to social smoking treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
i am a 40 year old male .105kgs 6f2 height and generally healthy overall. I socially smoked for 20 years and have always had a smokers cough usually a chesty cough.As a child i had bronchitis an bad chest infections. I have given up smoking 9mths ago and still have the cough especially in the mornings . I had a chest xray 5 yrs ago and all was clear. I dont feel any other symptons just this annoying cough . I find it worse after i have drunk a few red wines at night ..
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

The very likely cause of your chronic cough may fall in one of two possibilities.

The first possibility we must consider would be the possibility that you may have what is called chronic bronchitis. This is a chronic condition which is caused by many years of smoking. It leads to a chronic degree of inflammation of the airway with sometimes eight persistent cough and secretion production.

The second possibility would be that you have developed a mild degree of chronic airway reactivity. This is also referred to as reactive airway disease. This is caused by a mild degree of inflammation of the airways which sometimes creates a spasm with believing. It can create a cough that is persistent throughout the day.

As far as what I would recommend to help improve your symptoms I believe you need a tool approach. I recommend a long acting inhaled steroid medication in addition to a beta agonist. You could obtain both of these medications in a single drug called Advair. You could obtain this from your primary care doctor and I am confident that it will help you feel better within a dew weeks.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional questions I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor