Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

How is back pain after drinking alcohol treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 662 Questions
i am a 40 yr old male and recently i get severe lower back pain after drinking only a small amount of alcohol sometimes after only 1 pint XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 6 hours later
Hi, thanks for the query,

From your history it is clear that, you encountered with severe backache after drinking the alcohol.

So, in this situation there may be two possibilities..

1- Severe and acute gastritis.

2-Disc prolapse, which cant be your case, as there is no history of trauma or any past chronic illness.

So, your probable diagnosis clinches towards gastric pain with referred backache.

What you will have to now--

1- Take an antacid syrup thrice daily.
3-take some acid regulator like pentaprazole.
4-Avoid taking alcohol and smoking.

Try this for one day, if still the pain persists then consult an ortho surgeon, your doctor will advice you MRI, for the confirmation of the diagnosis.

Do not worry, you will be all rite, just follow the above advice.

Hope this will help you and I am ready for future follow ups( if any).

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How is back pain after drinking alcohol treated ? 8 hours later
i dont smoke and this only happens after consuming anything alcoholic, i am very fit and eat a healthy low fat diet, how can this be gastritus? are you really a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 18 hours later

Thanks for the query,

and sorry for the inconvenience.

well, Let me discuss this in detail. There is a condition known as GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease).

This disease is secondary to increased acid production in the GIT,AND THE CAUSE FOR THIS INCREASED ACID PRODUCTION IS ALCOHOL.( in your case.)

Few words about this condition---

#GERD is a condition in which the acidified liquid content of the stomach up into the esophagus.

#The symptoms of uncomplicated GERD are heartburn, regurgitation, and nausea.

#Complications of GERD include ulcers and strictures of the esophagus, Barrett's esophagus, cough and asthma, throat and laryngeal inflammation, inflammation and infection of the lungs, back ache,and collection of fluid in the sinuses and middle ear.

#It is a very common condition in individuals who, even occasionally drink.

#GERD is treated with life-style changes, antacids, histamine antagonists (H2 blockers), proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), pro-motility drugs, foam barriers, surgery, and endoscopy.

Reason of back ache in cases of GERD-- for this let me brief about dermatomes, in simple words, if the nerve supply of 2 different regions of the body is same, then the person will feel pain on both sites simultaneously.

So, dont worry for this condition, you will definitely be all rite, it is just a benign condition.

Hope this will help you and I am ready for future follow ups ( if any).

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How is back pain after drinking alcohol treated ? 6 hours later
we are talking about lower back pain, just about hip hieght all across the lower back. not indigestion
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 19 hours later
Hi again,

Yes, if the pain is not radiating type and localized to the lower back alone the chances of it being due to musculoskletal cause are more. The hip level pains are most of times job related and encountered in people who work for long hours sitting in front of the computer.

Do apply DICLOFENAC gel over the affected area, this will give you some momentary relief.

But to know the exact cause for this pain you will have to get yourself evaluated completely whether it is a referred pain due to GERD or there is some organic cause in the Muscle or the spine.

In my opinion, do consult a ortho surgeon, and get an MRI done, it will reveal the exact cause of this pain with minute details.

If Diclofenac gel alone doesn't help much then do take a muscle relaxant with some pain killer like NSAID.Also a LS ( Lumbosacral) belt would be of more help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor