Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

How is atrophic vaginitis treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
I am a 55 yr old woman wo has no been sexually active since a hysterecomy in 2008. I have a red swollen painful vagina with swollen clusters around the opening that hurts when I wipe after urinating. What could this be....I've never had anythimg like this before
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 45 minutes later

The causes of a red, swollen and probable blister like lesions in the vaginal area most probably is due to Atrophic Vaginitis.

Atrophic vaginitis is inflammation of the vagina due to thinning tissue and decreased lubrication. Atrophic vaginitis is caused by a decrease in estrogen which is normal after menopause.

Atrophic vaginitis also increases risk of vaginal infections caused by bacteria or fungi (yeast) and cause open sores or cracks in the vaginal wall.

Estrogen is very important in keeping the tissues of the vagina lubricated and healthy. Normally, the lining of the vagina makes a clear, lubricating fluid. This fluid helps decrease vaginal irritation.Thinning or shrinking of the vaginal tissue causes dryness and inflammation.

Treatment of this condition is with prescription estrogen supplements (Estrace, Premarin, etc.). It is available as a cream, tablet, suppository, or ring, all of which are placed directly into the vagina. These medicines deliver estrogen directly to the vaginal tissues and help in healing and upkeeping of the tissues.

In addition antibiotics or antifungal medications might be needed to treat any coexisting infections.

You might consult your OB-GYN doctor for a examination and prescription of the above medications.

I hope this helps.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor