Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

How is atrophic pancreas treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12533 Questions
I was just diagnosed with an atrophic pancreas. Is that the same as chronic pancreatitis? Ws it caused by alcohol? Are there any foods I should avoid? What, in addition to enzyme replacement, can I try to restore health to my pancreas?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.
Atrophic pancreas occurs due to chronic pancreatic inflammation usually due to diabetes or excessive fat deposition on the pancreatic tissue. Chronic alcohol consumption is also one of the common causes. The most common problem seen is enzyme deficiency. The main line of treatment is to avoid the aggravating factors and then allow the pancres heal on its own.
You can help the treatment by-
1.Cessation of alcohol consumption and tobacco smoking ( if any)
2. Taking regular antioxidant supplements like Vitamin E, l- carnitine, lycopene, etc.
3. Avoid fat intake- oily foods.
4. Take fat soluble vitamin supplements to prevent their deficiency.
5. Try soft and easy to digest foods- small meals at short intervals.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor