question-icon

How is adrenalectomy procedure done? Do I need to take medication and what is the recovery time?

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013
Question: How do they do a left adrenalectomy with a tumor measuring 13.5 cm and do you need to take medication after that. What is the recovery time?
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli (15 hours later)
Brief Answer: Open surgery Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for the query. A 13.5 cm adrenal tumor is a significant finding. It should be operated upon. Before surgery, certain biochemical investigations need to be done some of which include - serum metanephrine levels for pheochromocytoma and serum cortisol levels for adrenal cortical tumors. A Ct scan of the chest and abdomen would be required to assess operability. A 13.5 cm tumor should be viewed with suspicion for cancer and handled very carefully. Open surgery is the best option for a tumor of this size. Laparoscopic and robotic techniques are also available but for a tumor of this size, open surgery is the best as there is a chance of capsule rupture and tumor spillage if it is handled laparoscopically. The postoperative hospital stay will usually be around 7-10 days. You can return back to work in 3 weeks time. I hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to write in case of any other queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli

Oncologist, Surgical