Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

How is acid reflux treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2348 Questions
I am a 47 year old male I have recently started exercising again. When I play tennis or ride my bike I get a lump feeling in the center of my chest under mt sternum area. I do have acid reflux and asthma. Non history of heart illness but am nervous
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

The sensation of the lump in the epigastric region could be due to the reflux of the acid from the stomach itself. This occurs when the acid gets regurgitated into the esophagus through the lower esophageal sphincter, it irritates the esophageal tube as the mucosa of the esophagus differs from that of the stomach. Due to constant irritation, there will be inflammation with swelling over the region of the esophagus causing foreign body sensation.

It increases during the episodes of stress, as the physical exercises induce stress it in turn increases the gastric reflux and hence the epigastric discomfort.

I would suggest you to take proton pump inhibitors (to reduce the acid secretion) after consulting your doctor, drink plenty of water and avoid taking milk or other beverages before doing exercise. No need to worry, as this problem does not seem to look like a cardiac related condition

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor