Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

How is accidental trauma to the ears treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I was cleaning my left ear with a q tip when my 4 year old jumped up and hit my elbow. The q tip went in too far and my ear has been bleeding. What should I do?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Bleeding from the ear after accidental trauma by Q tip is indicative of middle ear trauma and tympanic membrane perforation or eardrum perforation. It may cause discharge from the ear which may be bloody, ear noise and earache.

You need to get an examination done from an ENT specialist and he needs to examine your ear using an instrument called an otoscope. If the eardrum is ruptured, the doctor will see an opening in it.

The opening in the eardrum usually heals by itself within 2 months during which time antibiotics can help prevent further infection during the healing process but sometimes it may require intervention. This may take the form of a paper patch to promote healing (a simple procedure by an ear, nose and throat specialist) or surgery (tympanoplasty).

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor