How is a bronchoscopy test performed?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am to have a bronchial scope Tuesday and am scared to 'death'....

I do not want app on my phone..I do not put info this personal on phone. I use my Mac Computer..
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry much for this bronchoscopy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
No need to worry for this bronchoscopy.
It is very simple procedure. Conscious sedation is given for smooth procedure.
Total duration of the procedure is only 10 minutes.
You are having hemoptysis (blood in sputum).
You are also having ovarian cancer 15 years ago and COPD at present.
So bronchoscopy is needed to rule out early lung cancer.
They will examine your bronchial tubes and if they found any suspicious area then they will take Biopsy. XXXXXXX (bronchoalveolar lavage) is also taken for further information.
Don't worry, you will be alright during and after bronchoscopy.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 22 hours later
What is BAL? I'm more clam now went to hospital and pre-registered this morning. Yes of course I'm concerned about cancer. After Dr. said scope and possible biopsy I heard very little. Then of course Drs. are busy so hard to talk more...I hate to be a baby about procedures but medical procedures are never fun.

I don't want to be awake. Will the sedation be as if I'm out or will I be aware of whats going on? I don't want to be aware, high anxiety.

I had epidural recently for C5-6 problem all went well and I was totally unaware, same type sedation?

Again what is BAL?

Thank you, Susan
Brief Answer: XXXXXXX is bronchoalveolar lavage.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern. XXXXXXX is bronchoalveolar lavage.
In this, saline (50cc) is injected in particular segment of lung. Saline will wash the bronchial tube and mixes with secretions and cells. And then we need to suction back that fluid.
So cellular details of lung can be gained.
It is more simple procedure then Biopsy and it is done through bronchoscope only.
I don't know which type of sedation they are using, but I use conscious sedation with midazolam. Conscious sedation means patient is easily arousable and will not remember the procedure so that great cooperation can be achieved.
Don't worry, they will also use good sedation that you won't be aware of procedure.