How is Mifepristone and Misoprostol used to terminate pregnancy?

Dr. Madhuri N Bagde

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi , i was due for my periods on 21st July and day before yesterday i tested using pregenancy kit and it came positive. I have one kid and not ready for the second one now. So i took Mifepristone 200 mg yesterday 31st July at 8AM and still no signs of bleeding. Can u please advise when should i take the next dosage of Mifepristol 200 Mg. Should i take one tablet at a time or 2 at a time. Please advise soon. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HCM,

It seems that your period was expected on 21st and you missed it. I assume that the date of your last menstrual period was 21st XXXXXXX So it means that today you are approximately 5-6 weeks pregnant.

Drugs like mifepristone are regulated under the MTP act and can be used only after prescription by a medical practitioner certified to do this under this act. Also these drugs have a narrow window of time when they can act in a limited time frame till maximum 63 days of pregnancy and have a higher failure rate as pregnancy advances. Also it is important to confirm that the pregnancy is inside the uterus [ as sometimes pregnancy occurs in tube or ovaries where use of these drugs can be disastrous] by examination by a doctor or by ultrasonography.

After that the tablets are administered by the doctor in the clinic itself and the dose is usually one tablet of mifepristone followed by 4 of misoprostol 48 hours later. The doctor may put them vaginally or give orally depending upon the situation. Bleeding usually begins in 48 hours after the first dose and may last for 7 days. Regular follow ups with your doctor are needed to confirm that the process has been completed.

So please see a doctor before taking these drugs as they have a set of adverse effects as well as failure rate.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist