How is HSV 2 transmitted?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I have questions about herpes. My partner was unfaith in May, he started having symptoms and a bump on his penis shaft. He tested negative for hsv2 but positive for hsv1. Last week I was tested, hsv2 was positive with a range of 19. Is it possible I got this disease from me after being together for seven years and he's just now showing signs?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
HSV 1 is different from HSV 2 infection.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

When your partner is HSV 1 positive and you became HSV 2 positive is quite unlikely to get the same from your partner. It could be from someone else other than this partner you had this HSV 2.
Moreover whether your partner had HSV 1 IgM or IgG? Likewise yours positive result for HSV 2 whether IgM or Ig G? These information give a clue as IgG indicates an old infection and IgM indicates recent infection.
Sometimes a repeat test after a month may give a clue whether he is also having HSV 2 or whether you are having HSV 1 with a delayed detection.
Anyhow instead of researching into the source of infection, it is better to follow your Physician advice regarding further management and sexual activities.
DR S.Murugan