How is HIV transmitted?

Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Last week I had sexual encounter with a prostitute. I didn't do any penetration. It was only hand job with oil. During the event she came over me and her vagina touched my chest over the sternum. I think but not sure that I felt her vaginal fluid on my chest. after I finished I Cleaned my chest with hand sterilizer. Right now I am worried and anxious and can't concentrate on my daily activities. My question is that is there any chance to get HIV from this event. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
unlikely to get HIV infection

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

Hiv infection spread through vaginal fluid .

But in your case it is unlikely and very less chances that you have encountered infection because
-You are doubtful that fluid came into contact.
-If at all the fluid has come in contact there should be any cuts or wounds over your chest for virus to enter. It is difficult for virus to enter intact skin.
-Also you have cleaned it .

So don't worry . The test which you had done in home comes positive after 3 months of likely exposure.

As such you are not at risk of HIV . If still you have doubt then you may get virus RNA test which will be positive after 2 week of exposure. If it comes negative after 2 weeks means it rules out HIV infection.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Deepika Patil 23 minutes later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX

I didn't have any cuts or wounds on my chest except with usual dimples that appear due to sweating. What defines cut or wound when speaking in terms of HIV infection.
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
doesn't transmit through sweat dimples

Detailed Answer:

Cut or wound means any breech in the skin (loss of brown skin layer and you will see underlying white area) with blood or fluid oozing from it. Or there may be cracks in skin as you see on foot.

Hiv won't spread through your sweat dimples.

So there are very very unlikely chances that you have got infection as all features are in your favor.

Hope I have answered your query . If no further queries are there then you can close the discussion and rate the response .

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari