Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

How is Granular Pharyngitis treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
I am a 46 year old female, 5'3" tall, 195 lbs. I have asthma, allergies, polycystic ovarian syndrome, hypothyroidism, bipolar type 2, anxiety and depression, and diabetes type 2. For almost the last week, I have had a steadily worsening sore throat on both sides of my throat, worse on the right side. It hurts to talk sometimes and sometimes swallowing hurts. I am taking ibuprofen for this. I do not have a fever. My husband looked at my throat with a flashlight and said I have white spots on both sides of the back of my throat. Is this strep throat? I cannot take penicillin or sulfa drugs. Are there any other drugs for this if it is strep throat? It's not a particularly bad or painful sore throat. Just hurts sometimes when I talk.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 8 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

According to the description mentioned by you, it could be something like a Granular Pharyngitis.

Granular Pharyngitis is a condition of the throat wherein there is infection over the posterior pharyngeal wall (back of the throat). It is termed granular when the pharyngeal wall displays a cobble stone appearance (multiple small swellings). The small white spots are the pus filled granulations; these are produced as a result of infection in this region, which could be due to Group-A Streptococci.

If you are allergic to Penicillin group of drugs you can try taking Second Generation Cephalosporins which are effective against both Gram Positive as well as Gram Negative infections, along with that you can take Ibuprofen, use Povidone Iodine mouth gargles or throat spray (to be used after food), drink plenty of warm water and avoid oily food, chilled food and coffee for few days till you recover.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for further follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor