Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

How is Complex Regional Pain Syndrome treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 362 Questions
I am a 39 yo female diagnosed with RSD/CRPS 2yrs ago. Are there any particualr fungus associated with the skin lesions? I have white, almost pellet like discharge that emits from what starts out looking like an acne whitehead. It will continue to drain nonstop & I end up with little white stubs of stuff falling off of me...
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 44 minutes later
Thanks for posing your query and for using Health Care Magic

CRPS, ie, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome is that is believed to be the result of dysfunction in the central or peripheral nervous systems. It usually includes dramatic changes in the color and temperature of the skin over the affected limb or body part, accompanied by intense burning pain, skin sensitivity, sweating, and swelling. Its of two types

CRPS I is frequently triggered by tissue injury; the term describes all patients with the above symptoms but with no underlying nerve injury.
CRPS II patients experience the same symptoms but their cases are clearly associated with a nerve injury.

Symptoms are varied and can include Pain. Skin Sensitivity, changes in skin colour and texture, discharge temperature intolerance and motor instability.

There is not role or involvement of Fungus in the skin lesions of CRPS. However, due to chronic skin changes, there can be secondary fungal infection.
You can get a KOH Smear testing of the discharge for confirming the presence of an fungal infection.

Since there is no definitive treatment, NINDS-supported scientists are studying new approaches to treat CRPS.

Hope this answers your query.

Thanks and Regards
Dr Kiran
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor