How is ADHD diagnosed?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Good Morning, I am currently a medical student outside the US and was told by my Chief Academic Officer to seek a Doctor to discuss my ADHD and possible treatments. It is a conflict of interest for him to treat me thus for my choice in seeking help here. Until I return to the US where I could go see someone.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Amphetamines are used in treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HEALTHCAREMAGIC

I can understand your concern. First of all I'd advise you that diagnosis of ADD can't be made just by observing one's behaviour. Detailed evaluation is needed for making diagnosis. Lack of attention and inability to sustain focus, difficulty to finish tasks, impatience, symptoms of hyperactivity, impulsive behaviour etc are common symptoms seen in ADD. Clinical diagnosis is made on basis of detailed history of symptoms.

Once diagnosis is made then treatment options includes Stimulant drugs like Amphetamines (like Adderall, Methylphenidate, Dextramphetamine etc.), or Atomoxetine or low dose antipsychotics like Risperidone or even Olanzapine etc. In adult ADD most of the times stimulants are preferred. Stimulants help to improve the focus and also helps to sustain the focus. The only drawback of using stimulants is risk of abuse and development of tolerance. Regular supervision is needed during treatment. Drugs like Clonidine, Guanfacine etc are also used. The drugs reduce the anxiety and thus helps in ADD symptoms. So if you get an appointment of a psychiatrist then you can discuss about possibility of use of these drugs. So please find a psychiatrist near the place you are staying and once you return to US take appointment of a psychiatrist.

Amphetamines are controlled drugs and it would be difficult for you to get prescription of these drugs without consulting a psychiatrist.

Thanks, Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks and Take care.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks and Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D