Ask a Urologist   »  

How interstital cystitis be treated?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I hope so! I went to the Mayo Clinic to see a Uroligst who specialized in kidney stones. By the time my appointment rolled around I had started suffering almost 100% incontenence, excruciating bladder spasm and very painful urination. It was at this time I started seeing the bladder specialist. I had one surgery with biopsy’s lasering and a general cleaning up. No improvement. After my second surgery, and three more of the cocktails ( with 3 more to go) still no improvement. The diagnosis of “Interstital cystitis”with ulcers fineally gave my problem a name!
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unfortunately there is no medicine that can cure Interstitial Cystitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have posted the symptoms that you have like severe painful urination incontinence and bladder spasms are typical symptoms of Interstitial Cystitis which is confirmed on histopathological examination .

Unfortunately there are no medications that can cure this completely .

You have to take urinary antispasmodics like Flavoxate or Oxybutinine along with urinary antiseptics like Nitrofurantoin and non steroidal pain killers like Brufen twice daily.

Recently a newer drug like Pentosan polysulfate sodium (Elmiron), is approved by FDA for treatment of Interstitial Cystitis .However it has to be taken as long term therapy and it takes 4-5 months to observe the desired relief from pain .

Ensure to avoid bladder irritants like carbonated beverages, caffeine in all forms (including chocolate), citrus products and food containing high concentrations of vitamin C.

Avoiding similar foods, such as tomatoes, pickled foods, alcohol , spices and artificial sweeteners does help to some extent.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.