How important is CT sacn for age- appropriate volume loss?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Stroke
Question: What is this CT sacn mean and how serious is it?
There is age- appropriate volume loss. There is no hydrocephalus. There is patchy hypo density in the periventricular white matter, nonspecific, but most compatible with micro vascular ischemic disease. There is no evidence of acute intra-or axial hemorrhage or mass effect. There is no mid line shift or herniation
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Age appropriate volume loss- there is a decrease in the volume/size of the brain that would be expected with the particular age

No hydrocephalus- hydrocephalus is a disturbance in the formation, flow or absorption of cerebrospinal fluid (the fluid around the brain and spinal cord) that results in an increase amount of space occupied by this fluid. This was not present which is good.

Hypodense means decreased density compared with other areas of the brain. They stated that they believe, based on the appearance, that it is related to micro ischemic disease. Microvascular ischemic disease- blockage of some of the small blood vessels in the brain.

No evidence of acute intra or axial hemorrhage- no bleeds detected in the brain
No mass effect- if there is increased volume in the brain (due to a mass or blood present) , it would push other areas of the brain, this is called mass effect

No mid line shift- no push in any part across the midline- good
No herniation- herniation is the protrusion of the brain downwards towards the neck- the absence of this is good.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions