How fast does consumption of toxic substance in food show its sife effects?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013
Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
May I ask somewhat odd question. Now I got the counsel for the OCD.
While I eating fastfood in restaurant I found some material not famiiar to me.
2days after I visit same restaurant and eat same food. but there was no same material that found in 2days ago. After that event, I though what was that?. what if that substance is fatal to health...etc... Of course that though is very unrealistic..becuase I am still arrive...
after that I found Chemical substances and food materila that could have toxin or dangerous. But I am very counfused. Would you pls. tell me that what I want to know.
If I eat some chemical substance which have toxin, is it possible for that substance to act later or act now but very slowly so I cannot know now.
I now that our body has the funtion the detox the toxin, would you pls. explain me that what if our body fail to detox and cannot eliminate it in body. What happen.
and Last, After some toxin attack cell or organ, that volum is still same or smller than first.
If I know that materils, I don't need to worry, But becuase I don't know toxicity or body mechanisem that I am very curious.
As far as I know that fatal toxin do act right after eating or breathing. Do you think it is possible to act some bad effect in later only after eating one time...
I know this thining is very unrealistic and odd. Pls explain me with more scientic backgound. Sorry to ask odd question. Thank you .
P.S is it possible to be melted or getting holes in organs with chemical materials with toxin? (not with acid materials...) my image in my thinking is some organ got be melted or hole with chemical substance's Toxin....
is it possible ? or is it happen in S.F movie. Sorry to ask odd question. Ths.
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
I understand you and your fears but these fears seems to be bit unrealistic to be honest. Of course, this scenario is possible and food can be posioned by various substances. But can you imagine why would someone do this to your? do you have some enemies? Food poisoning is criminal act and this would be serious incident.
Some chemicals such as cyanide, arsenic, botulinum toxine and polonium are extremely toxic and it would cause significant symptoms and death if left untreated soon after indigestion. So this was obviosuly not the case.
Other toxines such as heavy metals: mercury,aluminium,lead,cadmium would case chronic toxicity and it would accumualte in our body, in bones, brain,lungs and GI system and it would cause various disorders later in life if poisoning is continued. Holes in organs can be caused only by strong irritative agents such as acids or by sharp metals. Or holes can occur due to intestinal obstruction.
Posions that I ve mentioned are difficult to find and get. only army and industrial workers can be in contact with it. so it is not likely that suh posions are found in this food. Also,food needs te be checked daily. Also, most of these toxins dont have taste and smell so it is difficult to notice it in food,almost immpsoible so you should just trust to person that brought you food. but if you dont have any symptoms by now, then posioning is not likely. Just try to relax and dont htink about it all. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards