How fast can fibroids grow? I had open abdominal surgery

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 13 Mar 2019 in General Health
Question: How fast can fibroids grow? I had open abdominal surgery in 2013 to remove a 20cm fibroid at age 37. In September 2018 at age 41 I had keyhole surgery to remove 2 12cm fibroids. A third one was located on an mri but was so small it was unable to be removed. 5 months after the keyhole surgery I’ve started having heavy periods and large clots. I’m concerned the one left behind may have suddenly grown and started causing symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Growth rate varies from person to person but seems quite rapid in your case

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

The growth rate of fibroids varies from one person to the other. It is however faster in younger women than older women. Growth would basically halt and even reverses when a woman gets into menopause. Because you are getting older and hormone levels are getting lower, the rate would be slower because of your age.

However, gathering from the above information, you seem to have a very fast rate. Given your symptoms, I will recommend that you get a follow up ultrasound to determine if another fibroid is the possible cause. If it is truly another fibroid, I will recommend you consider getting a total womb removal to avoid future growths if you no longer plan on having children. If you still want to have children or hysterectomy is something you are not comfortable with, then removal would be the only solution. If it turns out not to be a fibroid, adapted treatment would be issued. I will also encourage you take iron supplements to keep your blood level up.

I hope this addresses your query and guides. I wish you well and feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng