How efficacious are antihistamines Fexofenadine and Loratadine when combined with a decongestant?

Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My questions deal with allergy treatment. Can you comment on the relative efficacy of the antihistamines fexofenadine and loratadine when combined with a decongestant (Allegra-D vs Claritin-D). Similarly, can you comment on the efficacy of the corticosteroid nasal sprays fluticasone and mometasone (Flonase vs Nasonex). My internist and ENT disagree and I need help....NOW!
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
In my opinion , both drug Allegra-D & Claritin-D are has equal efficacy

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I have read your query , reviewed your medications and understand your concern.

In my opinion , both drug Allegra-D & Claritin-D are has equal efficacy but Claritin-D need dose adjustment in both hepatic & renal disease , Allegra-D need dose adjustment only in renal disease . As per your age , i would prefer Allegra-D .

Similarly , both Flonase (fluticasone) & Nasonex (mometasone) both are equally effective but mometasone has more side effect than fluticasone . Hence , i would prefer Flonase for you .

Gargle with water 20 mins after nasal spray use to remove any spray coming to throat .

You will get relief .

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T