• question-icon

How effective is morning after pill in preventing pregnancy?

Posted on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello,

I had unprotected sex yesterday. I did not ejaculate in her vagina, however we did have anal sex where I ejaculated inside her. I was only in here vagina for less than a minute about 15 minutes after my first ejaculation in her anus. I pulled out of her vagina before I could ejaculate. I gave her the morning after pill about 14-16 hours after this.
I know it is still possible for her to become pregnant, but what are the chances? And, most of all, I just feel disappointed in myself because this is completely out of my character.
The good news is that neither one of us have any STD's/STI's
Thank you for your time
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
unprotected sex

Detailed Answer:
Hi!

Welcome to health care magic!

I am Dr. Saddiq Ul Abidin. I have read your problem in detail and will try to help you in best way possible.

The incidence of getting pregnancy with touch of sexual parts or without getting the discharge inside is practically very low, and though theoretically some chances may be shown to exist, it a rare practical possibility.

Still I would suggest you to use protection, as using unnatural ways like anal intercourse are associated with infection due to organisms which are normally present in gut and intestines. It can trigger urinary tract infection though, since you mentioned that STDs possibility is ruled out already.

Precum which is the drops of sticky fluid before discharge doesn't normally contain sperms; but still it can be contaminated with a previous cum inside penile shaft, so taking risk is not suggested normally. Try using contraceptive methods, which ever suits you the most.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. kindly rate me before closing, and leave your feedback if possible.

Dr. Saddiq Ul abidin.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Thank you doctor.

Do you think that giving her the morning after pill will take away whatever low percentange of pregnancy there was? Like I said, she administered it within 24 hours. And how would I know if I have a urinary tract infection?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
morning pill efficacy

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Yes since the failure rate of emergency pill is also low, so combined with other precautions you had taken, to discharge away from vagina, it practically kills the possibility, however in future more precautions are needed to be taken.

Urinary tract infection, occurs only when symptoms like burning micturition or fever being experienced, but if not, no measure needs to be taken.

To be on the safe side you can use ciprofloxacin 500 mg as prophylaxis. This is a prescription drug. Please discuss with your doctor about the same.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin