How effective is knee replacement surgery for a cardiomyopathy patient?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 24 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I'm scheduled to have a complete knee replacement surgery on Thursday due to arthritis. My ef is 20-25, so I'm anxious about this. My cardiologist gave me the okay, but I'm still worried. I have cardiomyopathy and LBBB due to receiving Adriamycin for breast cancer several years ago. I'm 78. What do you think about this?

I'm scheduled for this surgery on Thursday, Sept. 8, so time is of the essence.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that it is true that patients with cardiomyopathy have an increased risk for cardio- vascular complications during surgery compared to other patients.

But, there is no contraindications to knee surgery, as it is performed in optimal hemodynamic conditions, especially if performed with local spinal/epidural anesthesia or safe general anesthesia with etomidate (which has no effects on hemodyna mic balance and helps preserve blood circulation).

Besides, you should know that knee surgery is performed in a surgery settings under close monitoring of vital parameters by the anesthesiologist.

So you have nothing to worry about!

Everything is going to be OK!

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Feel free to ask me again if you have any other uncertainties!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri