How effective is Plan B when taken within recommended time ?

Dr. Madhuri N Bagde

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Women's Health
Question: how effect is plan b taken in recommend time ?
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is very effective

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HCM,

These tablets are very effective in preventing pregnancy. If taken within 72 hours they protect in 95-97% cases and the protection is more the earlier they are taken.

However Plan B does lead to irregular periods in a few women. There is no need to worry about this. Also it can be taken only once in one cycle and must not be used as a regular contraceptive method.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist

Follow up: Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 11 minutes later
so should I worry if I had very little bleeding after takening it I read online woman bleed heavy right after is this true?
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
does not usually cause heavy bleeding.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome back,

The amount of bleeding is not predictable after taking plan B, but it is not heavy in most cases. It is just similar to a period or may even be lighter than that.

So do not worry about this at all.

Hope this helps.

Dr Madhuri