How effective is Plan B in preventing pregnancy?
Chance of pregnancy less than 1%.
Thanks for writing to us.
Plan-B is an emergency contraceptive pill and will give protection more than 95% against unwanted pregnancy if taken within first 24 hrs of sex.
If her period is due for 1 week, then it was relatively SAFE sex. In this case, her chance of pregnancy is extremely LOW or NEGLIGIBLE.
She will get a withdrawal bleeding like period within 5-7 days and it may coincide with her regular period.
Hope, it helps for your information. Practice safe sex and use contraception in future. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.
Dr S Patra
For future query, you can directly approach me through
Post-fertilization action is quite weak.
Thanks for follow up query.
1) Emergency pill like Plan-B helps to prevent fertilization by inhibiting or delaying ovulation. It is the usual mechanism of action of such pills.
2) Post ovulation, these pills may cause endometrial changes (biochemical) that discourage implantation. Though, it is very much weak.
3) I suggest her to await for next coming period. If it is delayed more than 1 week, she must undergo one home pregnancy test to clear doubt.
Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion.
All the best and good luck.
Dr S Patra
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Is plan b effective to prevent pregnancy
- How to prevent pregnancy in honeymoon
- How to prevent jundies in pregnancy
- How the pill prevents pregnancy
- How femilon prevent pregnancy
- How to prevent teenage pregnancy
- How to prevent pregnancy ayurvedic
- How to prevent albumin in pregnancy
- How to prevent pregnancy naturally
- How to prevent pregnancy by dimpa