How does speech therapy work?
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
Speech therapy will help a child with speech issues. There are many speech problems like articulation disorders, fluency disorders, voice disorders, oral feeding disorders like drooling etc.
Speech therapy is usually given by specialists who are trained in speech language therapy.
They generally use strategies like
A) interaction with child with the help of pictures, books, objects repeatedly.
B) articulation therapy , how to move the tongue and how to pronounce each word will be taught.
C) swallowing therapy including facial massage and lip, tongue , jaw exercises .
Parental involvement is crucial .
Also do at home stimulation activities as taught by your therapist.
Make sure your speech therapist is well trained and has good experience.
Wishing your child good health
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Constant crying baby,not sleeping,given gripe water.Suggestions ?
- Baby has frequent running nose, sneezing, fever. Prescribed with...
- Swelling of legs after a drive. Is this normal? Or is it related to...
- 23 days baby is having cold and cough, not able to sleep well. Giving...
- Baby started vomitting and loose motion. Losing weight. Stool test done....
- Baby has low weight, elevated liver enzymes. What does this mean? Usual...
- Will consuming omega 3 supplement affect a breast fed child?
- Child felt warm, given Calpol. Blood test suggested. Appreciate a second...
- Child tightens his hands and jaws, makes grunting sound. Is everything...
- Child getting fever, cough and cold frequently. Constant constipation....