How does salt retention raise blood pressure?
More fluids are keeping inside the body...
To understand how salt affect blood pressure (bp), you should know how kidneys, heart and arteries work in keep bp within normal range:
1. Kidney filters the excessive water through process of osmosis, where sodium plays a crucial role. If you eat too much salt, that will increase the sodium level in your blood. Thus, the excessive water will be kept inside the body and not filtering out.
The final result is extra blood remaining in the bloodstream which will put extra straining in the blood vessels (arteries) all over the body including:
- kidneys itself
The arteries will adopt to this situation by becoming thicker, which will continue raising the bp. In this way, your bp will enter a closed cycle of keeping increasing.
At the end, your heart will get harder to furnish with blood, and if not treated correctly, it will cease working properly.
2. At the end, salt is not the only factor affecting bp. Previous diseases of kidney, heart and blood vessels will also precipitate the bad effects.
Hope it answered to your query! Let me know if you need further information!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Epilim raised blood pressure
- How much does salt effect blood pressure
- Do bath salts raise blood pressure
- How to raise blood pressure naturally
- How to raise blood pressure
- Sunburn raises blood pressure
- Salt and low blood pressure
- How does salt increase blood pressure
- How do you raise low blood pressure
- How long does salt affect blood pressure