Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

How does polycystic kidney disease affect metabolism of food and alcohol?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
How does polycystic kidney disease affect metabolism of food and alcohol?
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No direct relationship

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Polycystic kidney disease has not got anything to do directly with food and alcohol metabolism. However, it is usually associated with liver cysts. The liver is important in food and alcohol metabolism. In case associated liver cysts are identified, alcohol metabolism could be altered, since the liver is the main site for alcohol metabolism.

Polycystic kidney disease is also a risk factor for kidney failure of chronic kidney disease and high blood pressure. Under circumstances of kidney failure of chronic kidney disease, it is advisable to avoid alcohol.

Thanks and hope this helps. Feel free asking further questions in case of need. I shall be ready to answer specific concerns. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor