How does marijuana affect aortic valve disease?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Sat, 14 Feb 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: How does marijuana affect aortic valve disease? Is there a difference between smoking it and ingesting it as far as it concerns the aortic valve? YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
not certain

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question. Unfortunately there is little evidence about the risk of marijuana usage in any form on the heart. We do know that marijuana may cause an increase in heart rate and blood pressure in some people. We do know that smoking anything can damage the lungs and small vessels in the lungs and this could put a strain on the heart. While we do not have a lot of research on the subject what we do know makes it advisable to not use any form of marijuana if you have any form of heart disease including valve disease.
Here's a link to WebMD with a bit of the information that we have between links between heart disease and marijuana.
http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/0000/pot-smoking-may-pose-heart-dangers-study-suggests
I would suggest avoiding marijuna if at all possible.
Best regards to you,
Dr. Robinson
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T