How does gall bladder removal reduce the risk of colon cancer recurrence?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Cancer
Question: I had colon cancer last year chemo and radiation testaments.. Now I am having a small cancer spot removed on my lower liver but my doctor said she will have to remove my gall bladder also. Is this necessary to remove a perfectly good gall bladder?
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If its anywhere near the gall bladder, it has to go.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. Whenever a cancer is removed, some amount of normal tissue surrounding the cancer is always removed.
2. Assessment of the size of the cancer is not possible.
3. If its anywhere near the gall bladder, it needs to be removed. If its on the lower part of liver, it could be close to gall bladder. Removing gall bladder along with it will reduce any chance of recurrence for the small cancer spot.
4. It is always better to err and remove more tissue, specifically in cancer, as the depth and spread, cannot be assessed clinically. If the tissue is removed, as the edges are positive for tumor, a second surgery would be necessary. Second surgery at this age means more difficult times.
5. If the gall bladder, is anywhere near 1-2 cm from the cancer spot, it needs to go.
6. Post-removal of gall bladder, if fat intake is controlled, there would not be any side effects. Not to worry much about gall bladder, rather removal of cancer spot should be paramount on the mind.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
ok thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for replying.

You are welcome.

If you do not have any further queries, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Thanks for asking.

Dr. Prakash HM