How does cerbral palsy affect the elderly?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have lived w/ Cerbral Palsy for almost 84 years & want to know how CP & aging will effect each other,

Can I be prepared to looking forward to other limitations as time passes?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer....given below
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your concern very well.
No two people with CP will be affected in same way.
Some people may loose much more functions as compared to other people and this happens due to abnormal postures and movements,medications,seizures etc.
Recent researches have indicated that many people with CP will have similar life expectancy as of non disabled people.
Common problems which can arise in old age are...
Increased spasms
Increased contractures
Increased pain in joints and muscles
Increased fatigue
Digestive problems
Weightloss or weight gain
Increase or newly emerged incontinence etc.
In the end I would like to say that you have done remarkably well till today and is still writing and creating new things and that too with so much of pain and medications.I am in awe of you.
KUDOS to you.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks