How does carbohyrate diet affect blood pressure?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: There are conflicting opinions about high blood pressure. Should I cut out carbs? Or increase carbs?. My blood pressure today is 155 over 107, however I've taken it during drinking coffee in the morning. Not sure if that causes a spike?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...low carb diet decreases blood pressure
Detailed answer...
There is absolutely no confusion regarding the use of carbs in high BP patients.
Low carbohydrate diet results in..
Loss of weight.
Low sugar levels resulting in low insulin levels which results in passing excess water and excess sodium and rhis decreases blood pressure
Low triglyceride levels
Increase in good cholesterol ( HDL cholesterol ) 
Lowering of blood pressure.
All the above factors combined result in lowering of blood pressure if a person consumes low carb diet.
Drinking coffee definitely results in a upward spike in your blood pressure and hence it should be avoided before measuring of your blood pressure.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 10 minutes later
Thank you very much for your answer. I have absolutely
no issue with weight. I am very trim. This all started when i became poorly on a business trip to XXXXXXX I have been through a series of bloodtests to which my liver test came borderline. On my follow up the gp said it was only 2 points over which is OK. Now she wants me to have a 24 hour urine test and check maybe inflammation of kidney. All other bloodtests were spot on. I still have sweating symptoms and my blood pressure is still high. Attached are my results and what they want next. I have never had health issues before.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 37 minutes later
Your doctor is wanting to know the VMA levels in 24 hour urine because high levels of VMA means that your body is producing excess of catecholamines like epinephrine and nor epinephrine from your adrenal glands.
Vanillylmandelic acid (VMA) is one of the metabolites of the catecholamines epinephrine (adrenaline) and norepinephrine
Excess of these hormones can cause persistent hypertension,sweating,palpitations,anxiety etc.
Various types of tumors like pheochromocytoma can produce large amounts of catecholamines and hence this test is being ordered by your doctor.
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 minutes later
Do I have anything to worry about. Should I be doing anything meanwhile?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 minutes later
There is nothing to worry at all and nothing is to be done.
Your doctor is simply trying to find the cause for persistent hypertension in you and hence he has ordered these tests.
Such type of tumors are very rare.
Just relax and go ahead with your test.
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 12 minutes later
Thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 40 minutes later
You are most welcome to ask any query anytime.
Thanks