Owl Image

How does a syringe work?

Owl Image
Dr. Preeti Parakh

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Question
Please help me with this question .... I hope I asked these questions in good detail so you Truly understand what I am asking....... Please Read Thouroghly :

I don't want to be put in ANY spot of doubt .... So let me just ask you these questions like this so you could PLEASE .... Copy the question and Paste the CORRECT Answer below :

I have a question ... I am OCD .... and I always think the worst ... so here is my question ,... I was at our Lake XXXXXXX yesterday ,... and I stepped on a round piece of metal .... When I looked down it looked like the metal snap to a boat cover (a metal boat cover snap) ...... Then my mind starts playing tricks on me .... and I start thinking.... maybe its the part of the syringe.... The part that you put your finger or thumb on and push the fluid out of the syringe ( the top of plunger) .... Then my mind goes further and I have a panic attack .... My question is .... With a syringe :

1.) Is that round piece Ever and I mean EVER Directly connected to the needle part of a syringe that inserts or goes into a persons arm ???? Is the Round piece ever directly connected or having direct contact (without intervening steps) to the needle part of a syringe ????

Plus question # 2.)
Is there ever a time when the end of the plunger on the outside ... The little round piece that you use to push down on to insert something into the body ..... Is there ever a time when that round piece is ever touching or having direct contact (without intervening steps) with the fluid in the tube or the fluid in the needle ..... JUST the ROUND end piece at the end of the plunger ... the little piece that you put your finger or thumb on to pull or push liquid through .... I just want to calm my Fears ....

Question # 3.)
Plus I don't know if there is a METAL ROUND PIECE at the end of ANY syringe made ?? ... The part that you would push with your finger or thumb ..... Looking like (or would resemble or look like) a snap to a boat cover (a metal one).... is there??? .... nevertheless ... Please help me with all these answers to calm my fears.....

Please Copy each question and answer them separately to eliminate any confusion I have and I can calm my fears and move on with my life and get rid of this anxiety....

Blessings, XXXXXXX
Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Healthy Living

Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The answer is no for all three questions.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

Here are your answers.

Question 1.) Is that round piece Ever and I mean EVER Directly connected to the needle part of a syringe that inserts or goes into a persons arm ???? Is the Round piece ever directly connected or having direct contact (without intervening steps) to the needle part of a syringe ????

Answer: No, the round piece that you described cannot EVER be directly connected to the needle of the syringe.

Question # 2.) Is there ever a time when the end of the plunger on the outside ... The little round piece that you use to push down on to insert something into the body ..... Is there ever a time when that round piece is ever touching or having direct contact (without intervening steps) with the fluid in the tube or the fluid in the needle ..... JUST the ROUND end piece at the end of the plunger ... the little piece that you put your finger or thumb on to pull or push liquid through.

Answer: No, the outer end of the plunger is never in contact with the fluid in the tube or the needle.

Question # 3.) Plus I don't know if there is a METAL ROUND PIECE at the end of ANY syringe made ?? ... The part that you would push with your finger or thumb ..... Looking like (or would resemble or look like) a snap to a boat cover (a metal one).... is there???

Answer: No, there are no syringes with plungers having round metal piece at the end.

I hope this helps calm you, though I do not think this will be enough. Many times, OCD related doubts cannot be assuaged with just a clarification. They keep persisting and require repeated clarifications, and when they clear up, it is only to be replaced by some other doubt.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry

Follow-up: How does a syringe work? 9 hours later
If there are no syringes with plunger having round meta piece at the end .... What are the round pieces made of ??? and is that true for ALL syringes ..... ??? whoops ... I should of asked ....

If there are no syringes with plunger having round metal piece at the end .... What are the round pieces at the end of the plunger made of ??? and is that true for ALL syringes ....... ???

Please answer both questions please ......

Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below.

Detailed Answer:

The round pieces are made of plastic. Plungers used to have metallic round pieces at end many years ago when glass syringes were in vogue and plastic was not as ubiquitous as now. These days, syringes are made of plastic and rubber, with needle being the only metallic component.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry

Follow-up: How does a syringe work? 7 minutes later
I just got a notification but No Answer :

Please let me clarify my question:

If there are no syringes with plunger having round metal piece at the end .... What are the round pieces at the end of the plunger made of ??? and is that true for ALL syringes ........... ???

Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

The round pieces at the outer end of the plunger are made of plastic.

Yes, this is true for all syringes. Plungers used to have metallic round pieces at the end many years ago when glass syringes were in vogue and plastic was not as ubiquitous as now. These days, syringes are made of plastic and rubber, with needle being the only metallic component.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry